I don’t know what’s going on with me. Maybe my tastebuds are changing. Maybe it’s the hotter weather. Maybe I’m turning Swiss.* But lately, I haven’t been enjoying super sweet desserts. I’m usually not one to discriminate against any dessert (ok maybe the coffee ones) but for some reason, really sweet things are losing their appeal. I knew things were weird when I realized a milk chocolate candy bar had been sitting on my desk for over a month. That never happens. Even Jon asked if he could eat it and he barely eats dessert once a week. Before I know it, I’ll be craving celery for dessert! Then my dessert would burn calories. Wouldn’t that be a nice change.
*To clarify: Swiss desserts are barely sweetened, but for some reason they eat sweet foods for lunch and dinner. It’s confusing.
I probably shouldn’t be telling you this when I’m about to share a super sweet dessert recipe involving Oreos + cupcakes, but I will anyways. And that’s because it’s still delicious. I still ate it and was happy I did. I just didn’t have the desire to eat five more like normal. And to confirm my reason for sharing even more, everyone else that ate them, loved them. Oh and don’t get me wrong, I still eat dessert everyday. It just usually comes in the form of 80% dark chocolate.
So here you have some Oreo cupcakes, brought to you by my iPhone. Just your basic chocolate cupcake. Use my recipe here, or use a cake mix if you are pressed for time. And your basic buttercream frosting with the addition of crushed Oreos. And an Oreo on top for good measure.
Anyone else reverting to less sweet desserts these days or is it just me? Well, if it’s just me, then you should definitely make these. They are a crowd pleaser. And if it’s not just me, I’ll be back shortly with some recipes for ya.
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
- 1 1/4 cups hot water
- 2 squares (1 oz. each) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package of Oreos (for optional decoration)
- 1 cup butter (225 g)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 14 finely crushed Oreos
- Cupcakes: Heat oven to 350°F. Dissolve espresso powder in water; stir in chocolate until melted. Cool. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt in bowl. Beat butter and sugars in mixer bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla. With mixer at low speed, add dry ingredients alternately with chocolate mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients, until blended. Pour batter into 24 cupcake tins; bake 22 to 25 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Frosting: Cream the butter with the vanilla and milk. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar. Once that is fully combined, mix in the crushed Oreos.
- Assembly: Place the frosting in a piping bag, or in a ziplock bag. If using a ziplock bag, snip a small piece off the corner of your bag. Pipe the frosting onto your cupcake in a circular motion. Stick an Oreo in the frosting if you please!