It’s summer and it’s time for some BBQ’s, beaches, and cold beverages to cool us off. The past couple of years, I’ve had a bit of a dilemma with those cold beverages. I used to have a diet coke every day of summer, but fortunately I kicked the habit. Yet when the weather is nice and I’m having lunch outside in the sunshine, I get that craving for some bubbly with a little sweetness…and usually it’s too early in the day for Prosecco. Once last year, I just went ahead and ordered a diet coke and I literally couldn’t even drink the stuff. That fake sugar tastes foul to me now. It’s interesting how weird those chemicals taste when you stop eating or drinking them.
Anyways, back to my craving. It’s not a soda I want but I do want something more than water. An Arnold Palmer sometimes does the trick, as well as a La Croix bubbly water. But after enjoying a winter filled with lemon ginger hot tea, I figured there had to be a way to transition it to summer living.
I present, Ginger Lemonade! Make it fizzy or flat, whatever you prefer. Less sweet, more sweet, you decide.
Both fresh lemon juice and fresh ginger have great health benefits, and satisfy that semi-sweet cold drink craving. Plus, it’s crazy easy to make.
Fresh lemon juice.
Blended with fresh ginger root.
Sweetened, and served.
Cheers to summer, friends!
- 1 cup // 250 ml lemon juice, rougly 4 medium lemons
- 2 ounces // 60 grams fresh ginger root, peeled (roughly 4 inches // 10 cm)
- ¼ cup // 65 mL maple syrup or honey
- 4 cups // 1L water (with our without bubbles)
- Blend the lemon juice and ginger root together. Using a sieve, strain the mixture into a cup or bowl. Add the maple syrup and stir. In a pitcher, mix the water and lemon ginger together. To serve, pour in glasses over ice.
- If you would like to use sparkling water, I suggest leaving the two separate until ready to drink so the bubbles don’t get flat. Add a quarter of the mixture with one cup of sparkling water and ice when ready to drink.
- *Add a shot of vodka or gin if you'd like a delicious adult beverage!