It’s so much fun to watch a child eat a Popsicle or ice cream cone in the summer. The pure joy in their eyes and smile, coupled with the absolute mess on their face and bodies is just too fun. Granted, I am watching from afar, not worrying about the aftermath of the mess as a parent might. Those little ones are completely in the moment, enjoying each and every lick as if it were the last, and not having a care in the world beside the summer treat in their hands.
I strive to be in that moment. That present moment where you are only thinking about one thing that brings you happiness. It’s not as easy a task as a grown-up. The to-do lists, the stresses, the worries. Knowing that ice cream may give you a stomachache, or that the Popsicle may have too much sugar. So many things constantly racing through our heads, making us sometimes we forget to enjoy what we have right in front of us.
It’s a practice as an adult, to live in this present moment. But especially with food, it’s not a hard practice to try. All we have to do is sit down with our food, put away the distractions, and focus on one thing: eating and enjoying. Well, I guess that’s two things…but I think those two things go hand in hand that you will be able to do them at the same time.
I’ll take one of your worries away next time you reach for a sweet summer treat. These berry creamsicles are sans dairy and processed sugar. And will still bring a smile to your face and a purple drip on your chin (or pants). If you enjoy it correctly, without distractions, you may even bring out the inner joyful child, who doesn’t have a care in the world but the sweet treat in hand.
The best part? These can be made in 5 minutes (plus some freezing time). Just blend up the berries, honey, lemon juice, and a splash of coconut milk.
Then mix the rest of the coconut milk with the berry mixture and pour in the molds. Add your popsicle stick and freeze for at least 2 hours.
And that’s it!
Grab a pop and take yourself back to the good ‘ole childhood days of summer.
- 1.5 cups // 150 grams mixed berries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ cup // 125mL coconut milk
- In a blender, mix the berries, lemon juice, honey, and a splash of coconut milk together until almost smooth, leaving a few chunks.
- In a small bowl, fold the berry mixture into the coconut milk. Fill four popsicle molds, place the popsicle stick in, and freeze for at least 2 hours, or until completely solid.
- If it's hard to get out of the mold when ready to eat, run it quickly under warm water. Then it should easily come out.