Call me crazy, but lately I haven’t been craving smoothies for breakfast. It’s a normal breakfast cycle…I eat the same thing everyday for a few months, and then one day, out of nowhere, I just can’t anymore. Currently, I’m on a cereal kick – corn flakes, millet flakes, a mix of seeds, and some fresh fruit on top. I’m two weeks in and going strong, but I have a feeling I’ll be switching to porridge soon.
The good news is that come afternoon, I’m ready for my smoothie! And usually in the afternoon, I’m also ready for a little chocolate. So my smoothies have gotten a sweet upgrade…to a healthy chocolate milk shake. Technically, this could also be made for breakfast, but it tastes so good that I prefer to save it for when I’m in the mood for dessert.
It’s simple, nothing out of the ordinary. You may have made it before, but this may remind you to make it again. The first time I had this was when I got my wisdom teeth pulled and we ran out of ice cream. My dad whipped up a delicious straw-drinkable concoction similar to this and I was happily surprised. There was a lot of Hershey’s chocolate syrup involved in his, but these days, we can make it a little healthier but just as tasty.
A banana, cocoa powder, nut butter, ice, and milk are all you need. Blend ‘em up. Add some flax and a dark chocolate square if you are feeling it. Leave ‘em out if you aren’t.
Your afternoon just got better.
- 1 banana
- 1 heaping tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon nut butter (peanut, almond, and cashew…)
- 1/2 cup // 125 mL rice milk (or other non-dairy milk)*
- 3-4 ice cubes
- 1 teaspoon flax meal (optional)
- 1 square dark chocolate (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in your blender. Blend until smooth. Enjoy immediately!
- *If you use a less sweet non-dairy milk, such as almond milk, you may need to add a date or dash of maple syrup for sweetness.