The pear & squash quinoa salad is crunchy, creamy, sweet, tart, and oh so flavorful. Take the time to make yourself this healthy lunch that will last you all week!
I’ve been a little busy lately, between a trip to the US, launching this new website, having a booth at the Christmas market, and celebrating a big birthday. This was all tons of fun…except for when the stomach flu decided to show up. My nephews were the first suspects, then I was down for the count, then my dad, then uncle, then grandma, and then I brought it all the way back to Switzerland and my poor husband didn’t know what hit him.
As unpleasant as it was, I think it was the universe’s way of telling me to slow the heck down. I was running around on my trip trying to see everyone I could see in a short amount of time and pretending like jetlag wasn’t a thing. Then I got the flu. And then I was running around when I got back trying to get ready for the website launch, Christmas market, and my birthday…and then Jon got the flu. I joined him in doing nothing on Sunday, and took Monday and Tuesday easy. I think life is finally back to normal, but it was a good reminder to take some breaks this month, even during the holiday craze.
In light of this holiday craziness, I think it’s worthwhile to take the time to make at least one healthy meal per week that can last you a few days (and also compensate for those cookies that you want to eat). Your body will thank you later, and hopefully build your immunity to fight any nasty germs that come your way!
This pear and squash quinoa salad is new favorite (and the potato leek soup is an old fave).
Cook your quinoa, roast your squash, and chop your pears.
Assemble your salad as one big salad, or store them separately for easy lunch packing.
Make a simple lemon maple dressing.
And revel in your beautiful seasonal salad that will help keep you healthy this holiday season!
Pear & Squash Quinoa Salad
Prep Time- 10 min
Cook Time- 20 min
Total Time- 30 min
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups // 370 grams cooked quinoa (cooked according to package)
- 1 cup // 180 grams pomegranate seeds
- 4 handfuls arugula
- 2 ripe pears, cored and cut into small chunks
- chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- Juice from ½ of a lemon
- ¼ cup // 125 mL extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (or more to taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400F //200C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a bowl, mix the butternut squash, olive oil, and salt, and pepper. Lay the cubes out evenly onto the baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned and crisped.
- For the dressing, place all the ingredients in a jar, fasten the lid, and shake it up.
- To assemble it as a large salad, put the arugula at the bottom of the bowl, then quinoa, then pear, pomegranate seeds, and squash. Mix in the dressing and add the chopped nuts when ready to serve.
- To assemble four individual salads, add one handful arugula, ½ cup cooked quinoa, ¼ cup pomegranate seeds, ½ pear (diced), and ¼ of the roasted butternut squash. Mix in the dressing and sprinkle on chopped nuts only when ready to eat.